Wednesday, July 29, 2009

English tips

“I’m on the bus” or “I’m in the bus?”

What is the correct way to say this?

QUESTION

I was travelling by bus one day when someone called me on the phone and asked where I was.

Should I say, “I’m in a bus” or “I’m on a bus”?

ANSWER

You should say, “I’m on a bus.”

Use the preposition “on” for transport that you have to step up to in order to board. This applies to trains, planes, bicycles and the MRT.

Use “in” for transport like cars and taxis. This is because you need to step down to get inside the vehicle.

Source: NLB(goodenglish.org.sg)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Enquiry” or “inquiry”?

Which is the correct usage of both words?

Are both words interchangeable?

ANSWER


In British English, used here in Singapore, if you make an enquiry, you are asking for information.

An inquiry is an investigation conducted by an organisation, the police for example.

No comments:

Post a Comment